Gift Ideas For Design Lovers
There are only two more weeks left until Christmas, and for those who are struggling to find a present for that design lover, we’ve put together a fun list of our favourites that will help you out! There are so many options to choose from, especially as there are countless up and coming designers producing both beautiful and entertaining objects for the home. For those who have a smaller budget, or are looking for that kris kringle gift, Etsy is the perfect website to source out inexpensive but creative and well made presents. Fashion brands, such as Gorman, Country Road and Witchery, have now branched out and released homeware collections to appeal to those home decor fiends, and let me say, they’ve all done a pretty good job. If you’re in a hurry and don’t have the time to be looking around the shops for presents, don’t worry, we’ve got you sorted. Read on to get some great ideas on Christmas presents!
1. Country Road Kurata Large Cushion $129: Cushions are always a great idea, especially for that person who’s just about to move out or refurbishing their home. This one was featured in The Design Files Open House in Sydney, and is 80cm by 80cm, so it’s big enough to use as an ottoman. Check out CR’s selection of towels, candles, serving ware and bed covers that could also make as great gifts!
2. Blacklist ‘If I Had A Boat’ Print $74.95: For the guys out there struggling to find that a extra present for their other half, this paper print will do the trick. The lyrics are taken from a James Vincent McMorrow song, and will have her swooning! Plus, gold foil prints are all the rage right now … frame it in either a simple black, white or timber frame, so she can hang it up straight away.
3. RevolutionDH Boxcar Triple Walnut & Blue Planter $48: We found this little beauty on Etsy! Planters are a super easy gift idea that can be placed along a window sill or as a table top center-piece. This one includes three stainless-steel inserts to plant within. It’s best to fill them with succulents, as they don’t need much upkeep … water them every 3 – 4 days.
4. Missoni Home Kew Pouf $685: Everyone loves the jacquard chevron design from Missoni home, always in stunning colours and a funky zig zag print. Gift it to that someone who likes to put their feet up after a long day and relax, or perhaps for that someone who’s been lusting over this popular print. This one is 40cm by 30cm, and would sit perfectly next to a tan leather sofa.
5. Witchery Salad Bowl With Servers $59.95: This Ceramic Salad Bowl features matching bamboo servers and lid. It’s a naturally durable and sustainable product, the bamboo servers and lid offer a textural finish that will impress. This one is great for someone who likes to entertain at home frequently, and always has a salad on the table.
6. Inky Co. Inka Notebooks (Set of 3) $15.95: While stationary isn’t necessarily the ‘go-to-gift’ at Christmas time, it’s not a bad idea considering that the new school and work year is just around the corner. A fun little idea for that person who is never organised on the first day back at work. They come in cool colourful patterns, are 100% Melbourne designed and made, and are environmentally friendly.
7. Beyond Furniture Cow Hide Zig Zag Rug From $1495: For those wanting to spend just that little bit extra for that special someone, how about getting them a rug? This one is ideal, it comes in a stylish zig zag pattern and a cow hide finish, giving it that timeless appeal. You can’t go wrong with a black and white print! Cow hide rugs are also low maintenance and easy to clean, making them the best choice for families.
8. Gorman Connie Lichti King & Queen Bowl Set $299: These ceramic bowls are handmade in Melbourne, and are made from ceramic clay and 9 carat gold. The King and Queen’s faces are screen printed onto the ceramic. They make amusing fruit bowls for the kitchen bench or dining table. A little bit pricier, but they sure do make an impression!
9. Emeldo Rope Necklaces, from $39.95: These necklaces were also featured at the recent Open House by The Design Files. They’re made mostly out of rope, with gold or silver nickel fastenings. These fascinating designs are perfect for wearing over a simple tee, and will surely get plenty of compliments. Gift it to someone who loves handmade and original pieces.
10. BoConcept Diamond Wall Clock $199: This wall clock is made out of wood, with black metal hands. Neutral is the way to go this year, and I think it’ll be hanging around in terms of home decor trends, so this is a very safe option as a gift for that ‘design lover’. Perhaps something more suited for that male friend, brother or father to add to a contemporary living space or study.